About this course
Amazingly easy recording, editing, sound stories & backing track creation using the free audio editing program Audacity.
This online course assumes no prior knowledge and will look at some of the great ways that Audacity can be utilised in the music, dance and language classes as well as for amateur and professional musicians.
For more information about the course content, see the full Course Outline below.
Who is this course for?
- anyone that would like to make quick changes to audio tracks (fade-outs, delete a chorus, remove vocals)
- teachers, students, conductors and performers that want to create their own backing tracks
- anyone wanting to make fantastic sound effects and create their own stories with students
This course is available now as a Replay Pass.
A Replay Pass gives you access to the video recordings, session notes and other materials from the May 2013 live course for just AUD $159 (GST included for Australian residents).Sign up for this course
No previous Audacity experience required. This course is designed for complete beginners
What do you get?
Once you’ve purchased your Replay Pass, you’ll be given a username and password to access a special members-only area of my website.
Each online course consists of 4 x 75 minute sessions which were delivered as a live interactive webinar: you see me and my computer screen and you can hear me explaining what’s going on.
When the course was delivered live, participants had the chance to ask questions by typing into a chat window, so you’ll see me answer those during the video too.
Your Replay Pass will grant you access to all the materials from an entire online course:
- Video-recordings of each session (4 x 75 minutes)
- Comprehensive session notes in four downloadable booklets
- Useful links, shortcuts and other resources
- Professional development certificate of attendance provided upon request
Replay Pass length
The Replay Pass lasts for 12 weeks from the time of purchase so you can watch each session multiple times.
The Amazing Audacity Online course will cover a range of skills, including the following:
Session 1: Basic Audio Editing With Instant Results
- Audacity screen tour
- Importing an existing audio track into Audacity
- Playback controls
- Zooming in and out
- A few playback shortcuts
- Removing vocals from song
- Recording new vocals over the top of a backing
- Changing the pitch of a song without changing tempo
- Changing tempo of a song without changing pitch
- Selecting audio
- Applying changes to a section of a song
- Understanding audio file formats
- Identify which formats can be imported and which can’t
- What to do about audio files that can’t be imported
- Saving Audacity files (including tips for teachers)
- Tips for keeping track of different versions of audio files
- Exporting audio to a CD
- Exporting audio for MP3 players
- Participant Q&A
Session 2: Intermediate Editing Techniques
- Selecting the beginning or end section of a track
- “Chopping up” audio
- Cutting off the end of a song
- Creating a fade-out or a fade-in
- Selecting a precise portion of a track
- Selecting part of a track during playback
- Adjusting a selection without using the mouse
- Deleting a chorus or verse of a song
- Previewing a cut
- Splitting a track into separate portions
- Creating short musical examples for presentations or assessments
- Embedding audio files into Powerpoint, Keynote or interactive whiteboard software
- Exporting sections of an audio track as separate flies
- Participant Q&A
Session 3: Live Recording for Absolute Beginners
- Recording equipment for all budget levels
- Basics of equipment setup
- Ways of getting recordings into Audacity
- Using Audacity for student rehearsal and performance assessment
- Recording conditions
- Setting levels in Audacity
- Coping with recording in a classroom setting
- Recording instruments and vocals
- Setting up a click track
- The importance of headphones
- Applying effects: concert hall, small space, equalisation, compression, reverb, normalisation
- Participant Q&A
Session 4: Sound Effects and Digital Storytelling
- Make your own sound effects from scratch (earthquake, lion’s roar, waves and more)
- Write and plan a story
- Record the story
- Change your voice: robot, chipmunk, monster, telephone voice, Darth Vader, alien
- Cut up audio tracks
- Move the audio around on the timeline
- Easy ways to view multiple tracks
- Using positioning guides
- Importing sound effects
- Altering the length and volume of sound effects
- Adjusting track levels (basic mixing)
- Exporting and sharing stories
- Incorporating images and video with other software tools
- Participant Q&A
*Midnight Music reserves the right to alter course content when necessary.
All sessions are presented by Katie Wardrobe. You can read more about Katie here.
Sign up for this course
This course is available now as a Replay Pass. A Replay Pass gives you access to the video recordings, session notes and other materials from the May 2013 live course for for just AUD $159 (GST included for Australian residents). The next live online course will take place in 2014.Sign up for this course
What happens once I’ve paid?
After you have registered for a Replay Pass, you will be sent payment instructions within 24 hours.
Once payment for your Replay Pass is received, you will be sent an email containing the login information for the course materials. You have a total of 12-weeks’ access to the course materials.
Questions about this course?
Head over to the Frequently Asked Questions page first.
If you can’t find an answer there, contact Katie.